Cape Ann Plein Air Competition and Festival October 10-16, 2016
Come paint plein air where it all began!
For nearly two centuries, Cape Ann (Massachusetts’ “other” Cape located 25 miles north of Boston) has been a destination for some of the finest painters who paint “en plein air.” Throughout its four picturesque seaside communities, Cape Ann Plein Air will host a week long plein-air painting celebration in October when the famous Cape Ann light shines at its very best. Organized by the Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce, seARTS, and Cape Ann’s leading arts and culture organizations, the communities will see up to 40 of the finest artists in the nation compete for $16,000 in prizes and awards while raising awareness of all that painting en plein air is today. The work produced will be sold at the Grand Awards Gala on Saturday, October 15 at the Rockport Art Association & Museum.
Application Process & Fees
* Entries will be processed by www.OnlineJuriedShows.com from April 8 - July 15, 2016.
* The non-refundable fee of $50 is payable when you apply online using a credit card or Paypal. Unpaid applications will not be considered for selection.
* Print your receipt for your records.
* Submit 3 color images in jpeg format, RGB color.
* Submitted images should reflect recent plein air artwork.
* Eligibility: 18 years and older
* DEADLINE July 15, 2016.
* Entering Your Images: Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest half inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Cape Ann Plein Air’s artists will be selected from all applicants by juror Colin Page http://www.colinpagepaintings.com/.
* Selected artists will be notified by email and the list will be posted on the Cape Ann Plein Air website by July 22, 2016.
* 40% commission for works sold at Gala will benefit Cape Ann Plein Air.
Cape Ann Plein Air’s 2016 distinguished awards judge will be Ray Hassard. http://rayhassard.com/
1st Place $6000
2nd Place $4000
3rd Place $2000
Honorable Mention: 2 @ $500 each
People’s Choice $500
Best Harbor Scene $500
Best City Scene $500
1. April 8-July 15: Submit works online.
2. July 22: Notifications
3. Oct. 10, 7:30 -10am: Registration and substrate stamping North Shore Arts Association, Pirates Lane, Gloucester MA Orientation: 10:00am. Add: Check in and stamping available until 7pm for late arrivals.
4. Oct. 10, 5pm-7pm: Welcoming reception North Shore Arts Association. Optional: bring your own easel and one painting for sale.
5. Oct. 10-15: Artists paint en plein air in Gloucester, Rockport, Essex, and Manchester-by-the-Sea
6. Special events - details to be announced on full calendar at
* Quick Draw: Manchester-by the Sea, Oct. 12, 10-12 (no fee for 2016 CAPA artists).
* Wet Paint Essex, Essex, MA Oct 15 all day; Exhibition & Sale Oct. 16 (no fee for 2016 CAPA artists). Delete:
* Cape Ann Museum tours: A survey of painters, past and present: Oct. 11 -14.
* Youth and emerging artist events.
* Demos & workshops.
7. Oct. 14, 10am-4pm: Drop off up to six paintings for exhibit, including up to three for awards consideration at Rockport Art Association & Museum, Rockport, MA.
8. Oct. 15: Wet Paint Essex all day painting.
9. Oct.15, 6pm: Awards Gala, Rockport Art Association & Museum, Rockport, MA.
10. Oct.16: Wet Paint Essex exhibition and sale, Woodman’s Function Hall, Essex, MA.
* Participation in the Oct.15 Awards Gala is required
* Artwork submitted for Awards must have been created en plein air, within the four Cape Ann communities, and without the benefit of photography between Oct. 10 - 15, 2016.
* All mediums are acceptable including oil, acrylic, and pastel.
* Artists are responsible for framing their work and bringing it to the display location. Must include hanging wire
* All paintings must have the Cape Ann Plein Air 2016 stamp on the substrate.
* All exhibited artwork must be for sale. Artists set their own prices.
* All sales transactions are processed by Cape Ann Plein Air.
* a 40% commission on all sales is retained to benefit CAPA.
* Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist.
Karen Ristuben, Project Manager
Cape Ann Community Foundation
Attn: Cape Ann Plein Air 2016
33 Commercial St.
Gloucester MA 01930