Gallery Information for Artist Members
Download .pdf of take-in forms here to fill out ahead of time.
Blank forms will also be available for active members during take-in.
Want to become an member? Join online!
Need to update or renew your membership? Renew online!
Each SAA member submitting work this season will need to sign the 2016 Artist Contract
. Copies will be available at take-in.
Please bring a liberal supply of business cards.
Salem Arts Association has been invited to display at the Salem Arts Center which will be holding an on-going exhibit of oil and acrylic paintings, watercolors, drawings, photography, mixed media, jewelry, pottery, crafts, cards and prints -- all created by members of the association. The purpose of the gallery is not to promote the work of any one artist, or group of artists, but to present the art of the entire membership equally. Every effort will be made to ensure that all artists have equal display space and visibility for their art. The gallery is staffed by volunteers who are essential to keeping the gallery open. A Retail and Gallery committee will oversee the day to day operations.
The following are eligibility requirements for an artist to display and sell art at the gallery:
- Must be a member of SAA and have paid membership dues for the current year.
SAA Artists may consign to SAC. Once SAA accepts their work on consignment, Artworks must be listed on an Inventory Sheet which is a part of this Agreement. Additional Inventory Sheets may be incorporated into and subject to this Agreement at such time as both parties agree to the consignment of other works of art. All Inventory Sheets shall be signed by the Artist and SAA. SAA shall sell the Artworks only at the retail price specified on the Inventory Sheet(s). SAA shall not permit artwork to be used for any purposes contrary to those purposes permitted herein without the prior written consent of the Artist. Please note: work can be rejected at the discretion of the Retail Committee at any time.
SAA Members of 2 years or more may consign 20 pieces of artwork or less. SAA Members of less than 2 years may consign 10 pieces of artwork or less. No more than 50% of any member’s submissions should be 18” x 24” or larger. There is no limitation on unframed prints or cards. Artwork will be rotated every 3 months and should be removed by the artist to minimize damage and maximize storage.
- Volunteers must work at the gallery a minimum of 6 hours per month or as explained in the Letter of Agreement.
- Volunteer gallery hours are 12-6 pm, Thursday through Sunday. Hours for ½ day are 12–3pm or 3pm-6pm.
- If unable to work on assigned day, volunteer is responsible for finding another volunteer replacement.
- In case of an emergency only, volunteer must contact the gallery scheduler if not able to find a replacement.
- Volunteers may not leave the gallery unattended during his/her shift.
- Volunteers are welcome to create art while at the gallery, but attention to visitors is the main priority for volunteers.
- Children are not allowed in the work space due to liability issues.
- Volunteers must follow lease rules which include no alcohol or pets.
- SAA is sharing this space with SCAM so it is important to be good roommates and keep our area as tidy as possible including restrooms. Please respect SCAM’s space and property.
Members who serve as gallery sitters (at least 6 hours per month) or are active on SAA committees, officerships or special activities will receive 80% commission on works sold. Members who are unable to volunteer as indicated above will receive 50% commission on works sold. Payment to the Artist will be made every sixty (60) days.
Art Take In
All art take in will be 12-2 on Saturdays. Please do not bring in work at any other time. You may drive up the pedestrian mall to drop off ONLY if you park on the BRICK and not on the cobblestone. The cobblestone path needs to be kept clear AT ALL TIMES for police, the trolley, and emergency vehicles. No deliveries can be made to the back door.
Please label each piece with a retail code and price. The retail code is your 3 initials (Use X if you have no middle initial) plus a 3 digit number (Take in for July would be 701, 702, 703, etc.) Please label each piece in a place that can be viewed by the public, preferable the side (eg., not on the front or back of a painting).
Sign up to staff the gallery and store by clicking HERE
or you can send email to Alikya about your availability -- click here
Take-in and pickup times are on the Events Calendar
and the Calls for Art
Please Rotate your work to keep new, fresh, and exciting work in the Gallery!
Questions and Suggestions
Please email Gallery Committee
with any questions or suggestions. This is YOUR gallery, so help us make it the best it can be!!
Forms and Instructions
Retail Inventory forms - 2016: pdf
2016 Artist Letter of Agreement
Retail and Gallery Report
Expense Report (requires exec signoff)
Credit Card Operation
Opening and Closing the Gallery